Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Smoking...And Other Self-Destructive Behaviors

Yes, I am a smoker, and I have been for years. Yes, it's a horrible addiction, and I've tried to quit many, many times. Maybe next time, right? Since there is already so much ill will toward smokers, I try to be as courteous as possible about it. I don't throw my butts out my window while I'm driving (that's what the ashtry is for!). When I'm in a public place, I try to stay away from entrances to buildings, or I just go stand by my truck in the parking lot.

I recently had a bizarre experience outside of a McDonald's that I'd like to share with you. I had just pulled into the parking lot, and was standing outside my truck finishing my cigarette. A very large fellow walks by me, and feels the need to inform me that smoking causes cancer. I have a very small mechanical device implanted in my brain. It's function is to keep my smart-ass thoughts in and let the intellegent stuff come out. It failed. "Really? I had no idea? Why didn't anyone tell me?" was my only response. He continued on his way, pretending to cough.

Seriously, does he think he's a doctor because he can repeat something that's common knowledge? Also, I don't think I'm going to take health advice from the 400 pound guy waddling into McDonald's.

1 comment: