Sunday, June 13, 2010

Scapegoatism and You

I'm getting really tired of people blaming the rest of the world for their problems. Isn't it about time for some personal responsibility?

This is partially a continuation of yesterday's blog, and partially something entirely different. I was thinking about the great privacy debate again when I realized something. When you sign up for Facebook (or any other social networking site), they give you a list of terms and conditions. How many of you actually read them? I'm guessing that most of you just hit the little 'I Accept' check box and continued on your merry way. Well, those terms and conditions contain some very important information regarding privacy. Facebook cannot be blamed because you were too lazy to read it.

On a semi-related note, there is currently a huge effort to enact legislation in my state to stop 'predatory lending.' This is usually referring to places that give loans on car titles. When you pawn your car title and miss a payment, your interest rate skyrockets. But guess what? It's not the financial institution's fault that you didn't read the contract you signed! Every time I walk downtown, there are at least three people trying to collect my signature. When they stop me, I always ask them the same question. "Instead of capping the interest rates on loans, wouldn't it be easier if people stopped living beyond their means and taking out loans that they can't afford to pay back?" The response I usually get is "I'm just out here because they're paying me."

Lesson of the day: If you're going to sign a contract for any reason, it's probably a good idea to read and understand it first. You are not allowed to bitch about stuff that is entirely your fault. No one will ever take you seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment